Monday, August 22, 2011

Mama Bear and then some

Hi, it's me! Remember that time when I had a blog and used to write stuff? I know, I almost forgot too. I guess two years is a long enough break to get me geared up and ready to enter the blogging arena again. Well, OK. Confession. I do have another blog. I've been cheating on this blog with another blog. But I'm allowed to cause I make all the rules here. If you're interested, find that blog HERE. It's my photography blog. Maybe one of these days I'll find a place in my brain to combine the two. Hmm... I'll have to think on that. But for now, this one will probably stay funnier and that one will stay more sophisticated. Although I'm not sure who I'm kidding with the sophisticated stuff. ha. :)

Anyway. To commemorate this return to blogging day, I going to catch you up on my life of late and then talk about something extremely important. Just wait for it. It's really important.

Since I last blogged I...

1. Had a baby and she just turned two! Woah.
2. My two-year old just turned four. Huh?
3. Moved across the country. West coast for life! (insert some weird, exaggerated hand signal here)
4. Lived through my hubby's 9-month deployment. Phew.
5. Threw myself into my passion, photography!
6. Participated in my first "Mud Run". Got dirty.
7. And some other really interesting stuff I can't think of right now.

Alright. Now on to something very important.

I don't want to get all mushy and serious on you, but I need to speak of something right now. (Name that movie quote and you get $50. Not really, but I'll think you're amazing.) Whenever my husband has to be gone for long periods of time, I get all crazy and motivated. It's weird like that. All the sudden my life does not revolve around getting dinner ready by 6p.m. or having the house clean when my hubby gets home (not that either of those things actually happen very often...). Instead, I suddenly stop thinking and wondering how he's doing or what his plans and schedule are and instead focus on what I want to do and get done in my schedule. In a way it's amazingly nice. Now, don't get off thinking I'm some insensitive wife who just writes off my husband every time he leaves. No, not the case. In a big way this is therapy for me. If I were to continuously concern myself with his schedule and what he's doing, I'd literally go insane. Other marine corps (and army, navy, etc.) wives can back me up here. It's not like we get some daily 5 o'clock call letting us know their meetings are done for the day and now they're out to dinner at some nice restaurant. In fact, it's probably a lot scarier than that (at least on deployment) and I'd rather not know, thank you very much. Hence, my motivated single self. Now, if I could find a way to internally merge my two selves, I'm sure my life would be much happier. But that's another therapy session for another day.

But suffice it to say, Mama Bear comes out on those long, lonely days and I get stuff done. In a way I look forward to those separations. In a twisted-crazy-green-alien sort of way, I like it. At least that's how I cope and it works for me.

What works for you? When are you the most motivated?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I completely agree that when Shane is away I get super motivated and hyper focused on ME and the kid too! But I become super efficient and creative and just go wild conquering my to-do lists! It's just the way we cope with being alone and needing the time to pass without us agonizing over the dates on the calendar! Looking forward to keeping up with your blogging here too.
I started a blog and my marathon training while Shane was on his 7 month deployment. Still doing the blog and my training - the blog is a work in progress and I am really trying to make more time for it!

Take care!

Mark and Kim said...

Hooray! So glad to see a new post! I also get pretty motivated when Mark goes out of town-not that I have anything to compare to deployment-but for the few days I get quite more done not having to think about when he'll be home/what we'll eat/etc. And I used to get crazy/motivated randomly, but I think now that my hormones have all subsided from pregnancy/nursing, I'm pretty lazy these days. I'm going to blame it on waking up before 6 everyday and needing a nap when Ty naps.