Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Excuse me?


Alright, will someone please just tell me what's the deal?!?! Why does this exist and who is wearing them? I'm talking about RUNNING SKIRTS! They are the new big thing in the running world. All I can say is, NO THANK YOU. There are several reasons why you will never see me sporting this new brand of "hot" this year.

Here are my top 5:

1. I got through four years of high school and four years of college without ever wearing a skirt (to class). I'm not breaking that record now.

2. Remember the 1990s fad of 'skorts'? Yeah, the similarities are just too striking.

3. If the skirt is supposed to make me feel 'sexy', then why the heck am I wearing it while sweating profusely in a crazy-humid environment while pushing my babe in a stroller around a park filled with other moms and their kids? Oh wait, unless you want me to prance through my husband's barracks and pretend I don't have a kid screaming in the car, then maybe we've actually got something going here...(yeah right!)

4. Am I all the sudden ashamed to be a runner and want to somehow conform to tennis and field hockey culture?

5. Skirts are supposed to help women gain confidence and attitude and I'm pretty sure I don't need any attitude and as far as confidence goes, well, I'll get that when I'm passing the girls distracted by their reflection during my marathon.

And that's all I have to say about that.

6 comments:

Holly Dart said...

Excuse me, miss hipless. I am wearing a running skirt right now. I LOVE IT. For a woman with an abundance of hip and thigh, the skirt is a life saver. Just because I'm running doesn't mean I want to look frumpy, bunchy, and unflattered. It has nothing to do with field hockey, sex, or prancing.

While my running shorts gather and travel upwards as I run, the skirt stays firmly in place, gracing over my curves. Is it so vain to want comfortable, functional running clothes?

I guess I could wear just the spandex shorts...

Mark and Kim said...

I think they're cute, but will probably never get one b/c I'm a spandex girl. (yes Holly, I wear spandex and LOVE them. I can't go back! Luckily black one's make your legs look slimmer even though it's skin tight)

Holly Dart said...

kim-

I am so happy you're a spandex girl, and not ashamed of it.

Paige said...

Me too. Spandex are HOT!

The mom who made it said...

This is SO funny! I had this same conversation a few weeks ago with a friends after we ran a 4-miler. I don't get it. Running skirts just seem like another piece of clothing that will ride up while I'm running along! In your words, "no thanks!"

Steph said...

I loathe running skirts. Whenever I see girls wearing them, I think to myself, are you serious? How is that possibly a good idea?! But, I guess as long as they're running, it shouldn't matter, right? I respect ALL runners. (But that doesn't mean I have to like the skirts.)