Friday, October 10, 2008

I am not a pink version of a man


One of the best magazine ads I ever saw was a Nike (?) women's ad. Despite a very thoughtful Internet search I was unable to locate the ad, but the script said something like this, "I am not a smaller, pink version of a man. I am woman."

I love that.

So when I went to a Nike outlet today why was everything either pink or black? There were several jackets and long-sleeved shirts I would have considered had my color options extended beyond that very limited pallet. Sometimes I really do feel as if women's athletic apparel has to be pink or else no one would tell the difference between an athletic man and an athletic woman.

Yes, I do admit, as Holly made mention in her last comment to me, that I have no hips. Nor do these mosquito bites on my chest actually count as breasts (although thanks to Victoria's Secret, they do now!). My waist is really not a whole lot smaller than my non-existent hips and my shoulders are huge. So, maybe Nike is trying to tell me, and women like me, that we need to wear more pink so the sex line is not so blurry. Is that the reason and I'm just getting it now?

I hate pink, but am I being forced to embrace it to retain my femininity?

4 comments:

The Muse said...

I also hated pink until I bought myself a pink t-shirt for some unexplainable reason in San Francisco. I am now a pink addict. Don't ask. I don't know why. I just know that Pink has mysterious power. Be careful, or it might get you, too.

Steph said...

I admit, I am also a pink fan, but I also like to have variety. If you looked in my closet, you'd see just about every color. I would hope that the reason they are so pink dependent is directly attributed to market research. But who knows...maybe they pinpointed your disdain and they're doing it just to play a joke on you. Maybe you're being punked. (Just messing Paige. So did you buy a pink shirt or what?!)

The mom who made it said...

I have to agree. I'm not a pink person either. I'm more of a rust red or chocolate brown girl. Feminine, huh? Nah, just looks better on me. I've never really shopped for workout clothes...just grab an old t-shirt and ruin that! The only time I've ever desired to wear pink was when I was pregnant with Ruby--by chance I guess. It matched my pregnancy "glow". haha

Garrett the Smith said...

I'm just wondering what the feminine+pink roots are - when did that start?

Think about this: what if history was such that pink became the typical boy color and blue the typical girl? Would life really be all that different? Would that mean that the boxer shorts I wore in high school would have been pink checkered instead of blue?

Then, to take it a step further, what if everything that is blue in the world was all of a sudden pink? Like the ocean, or any sports team with blue in the uniform, or the sky? How crazy would that be?

On a serious note, I don't really care for the color pink as a feminine staple. In fact, I think women look the best in green (lime) and blue (royal). So, if you want to wow me and get my mouth a-waterin' wear one or both of those colors. I guess that didn't turn out to be the serious note I was aiming for...