Thursday, October 30, 2008

Paige vs. The Pavement

Marathon in R E V I E W ! ! !

I know you've been dying to hear about the big day. Here is my photo review of the events that transpired that fateful Sunday morning at the Marine Corps Marathon... (*note: descriptions of photos are above each photo not below)

It started out like any morning. Any morning where you wake up to the pitch blackness of pre-dawn, throw on some sexy black spandex, and head out the door before the cock crows. OK, what am I talking about? I am never out of the house before dawn, so already, day of the race, I had those thick butterflies swarming in the stomach long before the cereal typically hits the spoon.

Due to issues*, travelling the ten blocks from where we stayed to the marathon start took an hour and a half. Here is part of the circuitous line we waited in to catch a shuttle to Runners Village*. 

 *Issues included: some traffic (although minimal), this crazy line, roads closed making the shuttle drive all the way to Maryland to get us to Runner's Village.
*Runner's Village was about 3/4 of a mile of crowds away from the actual race start.

Me and my hubby waiting patiently. (OK, so maybe I wasn't so patient, but at least I was smiling in this picture). 


The weather was perfect. PERFECT. Saturday was stormy, windy, rainy and cold. Sunday was heaven. Here is my friend, Rachel's, photographic genius at work. 

Oh look. I still haven't gotten to the start of the race. Time? 7:50 a.m. Start = 8:00 a.m. Feelings? Stressed.

Before I move on, one of the two comments I received from fellow race-goers during the marathon had to do with my shoulders. That is the second time this month someone has mentioned my shoulders while I was running. That is also the second time anyone has said anything about me while running. What is it with my shoulders? I get it. They're huge. 

Here is my precious baby boy. He was such a happy trooper all day. 

Sorry girls. This one is taken. That's right! He's mine!  (like father like son, much?)

Wooah! Finally I'm running! I know, we all thought it would never happen! Check out this sweet shot caught by Photographic Genius Rachel (PGR). That's my husband and baby cheering for me in the background! 

Talk about a sweet course. Check out those awesome D.C. sights. Unfortunately I was a little more focused on not dying than I was on admiring the scenery. Oh well. :) Still looking and feeling pretty strong here, though.

My dedicated supporters. 

Aw yeah! Work it! I'm pretty sure I was starting to feel the effects of eating 10 gel packs (OK, slight exaggeration) by this point. My stomach had already started its picketing, getting ready for the big anarchic revolution inside my body. 

Still chugging. Probably praying too, with my eyes closed like that. Luckily I'm also still running at this point. At about mile 19 the major revolts inside my stomach started going crazy, forcing me to walk and wishing I would just throw up. Unfortunately the vomit did not actually come until after the race was over (despite my efforts to force it out earlier which included deep nasal inhaling past each portapotty). 

Ah, life is good and the race is OVER! My first words to my husband post race? "I am never doing that again!!!" Hmmm...we'll see if I keep that promise. Here's to 26.2 miles of guts and glory! 
Final time: 4:35  


12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Paige, you are amazing. That's all I have to say :)

Mark and Kim said...

YAY. That is awesome. You've inspired me to run one before I turn 27. That gives me 9 months! Nice spandex.

Garrett the Smith said...

I am the proud husband of an incredible wife! What an awesome race - and now I feel like the gauntlet's been thrown and I have to run a marathon...I'm pretty sure I vowed long ago to never even consider running a race longer than, like, 10 miles. Seeing that race definitely made me reconsider!

Paige is awesome!

The Muse said...

We also think you're awesome. Way to go!

Rachel said...

Paige, I was so impressed! It was great cheering you on from the sidelines... for now, I think I'll stay there :)

Karla said...

Way to go! Very impressive!

Amelia Hohl said...

Wow Paige. Way to go. I like how you told the story with cool photos. My parents are doing the Vegas marathon in December and I don't know if they'll come out alive. You looked great in all the shots though. I can't believe we're not getting together over the Holidays. Bummer! Love you guys!

Tracie said...

Quite impressive! That's so cool you did it!

Steph said...

You inspire me, Paige. Congrats again!

So, Turkey Trot 10K, or what?! Gobble Gobble. Be there or be square!

Bonnie said...

That's awesome that you had PGR there to document your feat! I wish I had done the same, but it's a little late now. Maybe next time!
Perhaps you'll be on the west coast as well and we can do the San Diego Marathon together!

Paige said...

PGR really was awesome. San Diego? Hmm....I may need a few years to recover and forget the pain. Kind of like child birth.
And Kim - totally do it before 27 because 26 at 27 definitely doesn't sound as cool. :)

JD said...

i don't know if you inspired me, let's be honest. but congrats on finishing!